Stormwater Management

Construction activities on University owned properties, including construction or demolition of buildings, site clearing, filling, grading or excavating, road building, etc., which result in land/soil disturbances must comply with all applicable local and state stormwater management requirements.

The City of Syracuse’s Stormwater Management Ordinance  applies to all land development construction activities that will result in land disturbances equal to or greater than 10,000 square feet regardless of where the stormwater will be discharged to.

A NYSDEC’s SPDES General Permit for Stormwater Discharges from Construction Activities must be obtained for any construction activity disturbing 1 acre or more, which has the potential to discharge stormwater to a receptor other than a municipally owned sewer system.

The University department conducting or contracting the construction activity is required to ensure compliance with all applicable stormwater regulations.  EHSS must be notified prior to the submittal of all applications for stormwater permits at the University.