Chemical Inventories

Departments to which the Hazard Communication applies are required to maintain a list of the hazardous chemicals and chemical containing products known to be present in their work area(s), except for those chemicals specifically exempted by the hazard communication standard. This list is knowns as a chemical inventory.

The chemical inventory must include the name or a chemical identifier (i.e. CAS number) for each applicable chemical or chemical containing product identified in the work area(s).

EHSS supports departments in collecting their initial chemical inventory and maintains a comprehensive inventory of chemicals identified to be present in University work areas.

Departments are required to notify EHSS of any changes in their chemical inventory, including any new chemicals or chemical containing products in their work areas.

Departments can contact EHSS at for assistance in maintaining their chemical inventory.